The "send my password" utility definately uses the email address for the user. So if you've changed the email address in the users.php file and it still doesn't work.. then i would ask your web host to verify your email account settings, etc.
Also, make sure you logout and login again, so that the new users.php file changes are used.
If you are still stuck, then you can manually change the password for the user
1. Follow the steps above to download and open the users.php file for editing.
2. Find the admin user (usually first one listed) and you will see the "encrypted password" as a bunch of random looking characters. It should like something like this:
3. Replace the random looking characters (highlighted with red bold
in the example above) with the following new encrypted password:
** NOTE: Do *not* replace the "#" character on either side of the encrypted password. These are needed to tell the database program when the encrypted password starts and stops. Look carefully and you'll see this character is used between each "field" in the row of user details... Be sure not to touch that part.
4. Save the file to your website.
5. Now you should be able to login using your username with the password of "admin
If you get stuck, please send me an email and i will try to assist.