SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

May 14, 2006, 02:00:55 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2006, 02:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Pre-Sales Questions  |  Topic: upload quotas? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: upload quotas?  (Read 95 times)
danno

[-] upload quotas?
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:22 AM »

I see where users can upload files from within SnippetMaster and the admin can limit the type and file size of the uploads. Is it possilbe to limit the total amount of uploads on a per user or group basis? I'd like to limit users to 10-20 MB of total file space within their own upload directory. If this is not possible within SnippetMaster, does anyone know of a third party script or other means that would allow this to be done in conjunction with SnippetMaster? This looks like a great tool for non-technical web maintainers, but I can see some of my users uploading tons of files and taking up an unbalanced amount of server space. At a minimum, I at least need a way to track what they are using.

Thanks! This looks promising.
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: upload quotas?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:03:17 AM »

Hello,

The only way to assign a space quota/limitation would be to limit their uploads ONLY to their own folders. Then I could simply see how much space is used by those folders, etc.

The problem is that the majority of people who use snippetmaster don't organize their upload system like this..  and it might be rather complicated to try and explain that the only way to use the quota system is to create their own folders for each user, etc...

I'm open to suggestions/ideas, but from what I can see.. I'm not sure a quota system would be possible to implement unless I make the system complicated to use, etc..

I could probably add a quota/limit that is based on either:

1) Individual upload location.  (Each individual folder could have its own limit)
2) Upload Group. (each upload GROUP would have its own limit.)

It would be very difficult to make any limit based on User, since we have no idea what files are owned by what "user". And then what happens if all users are using the same upload location, etc...?  (We would need some way to know which files do and do not count against the allowed quota/limit.. which is pretty much impossible unless we are tracking EVERY file that is uploaded.. but then what if it is deleted outside the system, etc..)

Let me know what you think.
danno

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:48:14 AM »

>. unless I make the system complicated to use

No No! Don't make it more complicated to use. It's the ease of use that attracts me to this product!  Very Happy

I have a shared hosting account, so I can't limit space on directories myself. I have a few people I want to set up sites for inside my domain (ie. www.mydomain.com/user1). I want to create the template for them and use your Pro version to allow them to easily update their site. I don't care how many users they have update their site and upload files, so it doesn't need to be user-based. I want to limit their total uploads for their site to a set amount so they don't use up all my space. From what what I understand reading the description of this product, I can point their upload directories and files to fall within a specified folder. I just need to be able to say "however many directories you create and how many files you upload, you can go over 10 MB (or whatever). Does this make sense?

I'm looking at capabilities like in this open source file manager:

http://www.qto.com/fm/index.htm

"Specify the max hard drive space allowed"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 07:51:26 AM by danno » Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:01:16 AM »

What if I created a system of "disk space management" like this:

1) When creating the Upload Groups, you can specify a maximum amount of disk space.

So no matter how many "upload locations" you specify, the total amount of ALL FILES would never be allowed to exceed the limit you have specified.

and

2) Each user can have their own "disk space limit" value. If specified, this value would override the Upload Group value.

So using this system, you could specify a maximum disk space allowance of 10mb for "Upload Group #1", and then User1 could have a maximum disk space allowance of 3mb or 25mb.  So all users would be limited to 10mb maximum, except User1, who is limited to whatever you have specified for him personally.

What do you think of that idea?
danno

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:37:52 AM »

Wow! That would be incredible - just what I (and I think many others) would need. How difficult would this be? What kind of timeline do you think you would be on? If you were definitely going to implement this soon I would buy your Pro Version today and start to build the sites around it. I'd be willing to beta test this feature as well.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:18 PM »

I think this is something I might add fairly quickly, actually. Certainly within a few weeks.  Smile

danno

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »

OK then. By looking over these forums it certainly seems like you stand behind your product and your customers. Please keep me updated on the progress and let me know if I can assist by beta testing this feature when it is ready. I'm going to load up the free version tonight just to make sure all works on my server, then order the Pro Version. I must also say I am already impressed by the prompt, courteous replies to my questions. You've earned another customer. I can't wait to play with this and look forward to the quota feature in the coming weeks.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 07:07:57 PM »

Just to let you know...

I have just finished adding this new feature to the software.  It will be included in the new version that I will release either tomorrow evening or on Monday.

Very Happy

What if I created a system of "disk space management" like this:

1) When creating the Upload Groups, you can specify a maximum amount of disk space.

So no matter how many "upload locations" you specify, the total amount of ALL FILES would never be allowed to exceed the limit you have specified.

and

2) Each user can have their own "disk space limit" value. If specified, this value would override the Upload Group value.

So using this system, you could specify a maximum disk space allowance of 10mb for "Upload Group #1", and then User1 could have a maximum disk space allowance of 3mb or 25mb.  So all users would be limited to 10mb maximum, except User1, who is limited to whatever you have specified for him personally.

What do you think of that idea?
danno

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 07:12:15 AM »

Awesome! I'll give you feedback once I implement this.
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Pre-Sales Questions  |  Topic: upload quotas? « previous next »
Jump to: