SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

July 14, 2007, 07:57:58 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 14, 2007, 07:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: Restricted Admin User? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Restricted Admin User?  (Read 79 times)
4yourname

[-] Restricted Admin User?
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »

Is there a way to setup an admin user that can setup and change any users other than Admin users?

i.e. An administrator that does not have full access to all files or to admin user records.

I'd like to have the user able to maintain the list of Basic users only.
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: Restricted Admin User?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:33:45 AM »

Hello,

No, this is not currently possible.  Can you explain exactly what permissions this user should be able to do?  I'm a little confused...

(Mostly because adding a new user is something that an admin would normally do, since the person adding the user would need to know what permissions/rights to give to the new user, what upload group to select, whether to allow file delete/rename when browsing, etc...)

Let me know..
4yourname

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »

What I really want is a Basic user that can add other users that are permission-wise exactly like himself as far as groups, permissions, etc. This user would not be allowed to see or change users other than those in his group and would only be able to add users to his group.

I do NOT want this user to be able to make decisions about how a user should be setup AND do not want him to have access to all pages, only to those allowed by the real administrator.

This is a situation where there are 30 users in an office where someone local to that office needs to be responsible for adding and setting up users, but only users in that office with the parameters set for that office.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »

So you're looking for sort of a "clone this user" function.  Is this correct?

Basically, you want the ability to create another user with exactly the same settings as the current user.. but with a different username and password.

Is this correct?
4yourname

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »

Yes, exactly. This alone would mostly do it, but ideally the user could also edit/reset the password of users in his group also. I guess, alternately a user could be deleted and cloned again.

This would only be allowed for a single user within the group, not all users.

The object is to avoid having the real administrator need to deal with requests from multiple users in multiple locations (this will eventually mushroom to 5 offices and 100's of users) -- just setup the designated admin for each office and then let them deal with the issues and support for that set of users.

Thanks...
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »

OK, so desired functionality for this "user administrator" would be:

1. Ability to create new users based on their own settings.  (So new user would be exactly the same settings, but with different un/pw only, and of course no ability for the new user to create their own new users...)

2. Ability to reset passwords for any user EXCEPT for true admin users.

Does this sound right?
4yourname

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »

This would be fantastic. Ideally the password reset would be only for users within his group.

Ultimately there would be several of these pseudo-admins setup, each with their own set of users that they are managing.

Also, it would be great if, instead of the list of users allowed to edit a snippet, it could be a list of groups and/or users allowed to edit the snippet. This would allow the designers to allow any of a group to edit sets of snippets that pertain to that group.

Thanks
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: Restricted Admin User? « previous next »
Jump to: