SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

March 17, 2008, 01:00:12 AM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 17, 2008, 01:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  General Discussion & Support  |  Topic: Warning: The selected file is not writable! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Warning: The selected file is not writable!  (Read 506 times)
Agua

[-] Warning: The selected file is not writable!
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:17:49 PM »

No dramas - I found the answer here:

http://www.snippetmaster.com/documentation/pages/snippet-tags-basic-config.html

Hi - Hows things?

I have just moved server - and in doing so I am now getting the following error when opening snippet files:

*** Warning: The selected file is not writable! ***
The Save button has been disabled. The file must be writable to enable the Save button.
[/color]

Does this mean I have to change the premissions of each file to 666?

I don't remember doing this before. I'm sure there was a setting in config.php, although when I look at it now, its all encoded?

Any ideas anyone?

TIA
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:29:30 PM by Agua » Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: Warning: The selected file is not writable!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:02:15 AM »

Any file that you want to be editable by SnippetMaster must have permissions set so that the SnippetMaster software can "write" to the file.  On some web servers, this is automatic and you don't have to do anything... but on other servers, you must set the file permissions to 666, etc...

This is something you'll need to chat with your web host about.  Ask them, "How do I set files so that a PHP program (snippetmaster) can write to the file?".

Cheers!

Smile
Report to moderator   Logged
bsaul

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »

Having just installed SnippetMaster on a friend's website (on her hosting), I had to set the permissions to 666 on each page.

Not being the full geek (and I do not consider that term to be an insult - quite the opposite!), this seems to me to allow anyone to edit the page.  At 666 permission are those web pages now less secure?

Am sure someone more knowledgable can reassure me.

Thank you

Barbara
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:01:24 AM »

Technically, the pages are "writable" by any PHP program on their hosting account.  (Including Snippetmaster.)

However, just because the files have write permissions does not automatically mean anyone can write to the files...   someone will still have to do this by installing and then using a PHP program.  (Like snippetmaster.)

If someone is able to hack into the account and install another method of writing to the files.. then yes, they could potentially be modified.  This is why you should *always* keep your software up to date.  Anything on their account (like forum software or whatever) should always have the lastest patches and version from the vendor, so that people can't hack into the account.

I hope this helps...

bsaul

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »

Thank you

That sets my simple brain at ease   Very Happy
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  General Discussion & Support  |  Topic: Warning: The selected file is not writable! « previous next »
Jump to: