SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

May 21, 2018, 10:07:33 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: More than one user? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: More than one user?  (Read 5702 times)
ShaunsSite

[-] More than one user?
« on: September 06, 2002, 12:41:17 PM »

I thought I'd ask before trying this, to save grief..

Is there a way of having more than one 'user'? That is, my site has several other people's sites on it at the same time (friends, etc.), and I thought I'd try this script so I don't have to give them passwords etc.

So, for example, there are 2 people with sites on my server, /john and /mary. Could I have separate snippet pages for each of them, seperate passwords etc. and could i stop them from editing each other's files??

Thanks, Shaun
Report to moderator   Logged

admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 01:01:54 PM »

That's not a bad idea.  Currently, the only way you could accomplish what you need is to have two copies of SnippetMaster installed.  In the config.php file for each, you would need to "enable" for browsing only the folders you desire.

I will add your suggestion to the list of things to do.  Maybe someone has some ideas on how best to add this kind of functionality?

I'm thinking of having a true user management system where you could assign certain snippets to users, etc.. However, this would make admin and setup a lot harder, and would certainly make the program more difficult to use than the average user really needs.

Or how about something really simple.. like maybe a few extra items to the opening snippet tag.

Like:

<snippet name="snippet name" user="userid" password="pw">

So then, IF a user and password is included in the snippet tag it would take precidence over the default specified in the config.php file.. or perhaps even BOTH could be accepted.

What do you think?
Pinocchi

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 04:05:54 AM »

Hi,

Why not have seperate config files for both. You can set in there what pages to restrict to. The config file could easily be named like
mary_config.inc.php and within the ieeditor it could be included like

Code:
include("../includes/".$mary."_config.inc.php");

or something like it

Regards,

Erik
Pinocchi

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 04:14:48 AM »

Electric,

The cms would be a nice idea. I've currently integrated your editor into my cms. It was a bit of a fight, but I got it all to work:
[list=1]get info out of the database
get links and images out of the database
get a save function (I don't use the preview, so could easily use parent.document.editform.submit() (I called the form 'editform'))
get a close function (I use a popup for the editing)
get a wider range of colors to select from[/list:o]

Only thing left is to get rit of the <p> when you hit 'enter'. I just want a <br> instead of the <p>. Any ideas how to get that to work?

Thanks,
Erik

BTW, did you get my files for the vertical alignment?
[/list]
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 12:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Pinocchi
Electric,

The cms would be a nice idea. I've currently integrated your editor into my cms. It was a bit of a fight, but I got it all to work:
[list=1]get info out of the database
get links and images out of the database
get a save function (I don't use the preview, so could easily use parent.document.editform.submit() (I called the form 'editform'))
get a close function (I use a popup for the editing)
get a wider range of colors to select from[/list:o]

Only thing left is to get rit of the <p> when you hit 'enter'. I just want a <br> instead of the <p>. Any ideas how to get that to work?

Thanks,
Erik

BTW, did you get my files for the vertical alignment?
[/list]

I still haven't received any files at all.. Hmm.. did you get them returned or anything?  

Is it possible to also grab the code you did as mentioned above?  (Especially the wider range of colors mod..)

Thanks!  (I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my email.. you're not the first person to send something that never arrived.. but I get the forum notifications ok so I'm not sure.)
Pinocchi

[-] sent again
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2002, 12:54:10 PM »

Electric,

I've just sent the files again. If they don't get to you within the next few hours, contact me and we will try another way (downloading them from my server or something).

Regards,

Erik
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2002, 07:58:44 PM »

Something weird is happening. I still haven't received the emails... can you try sending me an email without the file attachements?

Thanks!
Pinocchi

[-] More than one user?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2002, 11:14:31 PM »

Just did so.

Regards,

Erik
kezing

[-] More then one user
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2002, 12:59:45 PM »

Userhandling should not be the concern of snippetmaster, it might but a better idea is to let your webserver or even better put user and whatever rights in a database in some table describing what user who can edit what page.

Thats how I would like this to work, have not done that yet thow.
Hopefully I will soon have a running MySQL and maybe I can find some time to try this too.
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: More than one user? « previous next »
Jump to: