SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 19, 2018, 10:03:21 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 10:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  How To's & FAQs  |  Topic: PHP Include files and Snipplets « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PHP Include files and Snipplets  (Read 4653 times)
stritec

[-] PHP Include files and Snipplets
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »

I'm looking for some guidance here.

I'm writing php files which I only want to allow users to edit a small portion of the page.  But I want my php files to be Search Engine Friendly so here is my typical layout of a php file.

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>asdf</title>
All meta tages, and CSS links
</head>
<body>

<php include to common header and table layouts>

<! Snipllet include section>

Users can edit this!

<! end Snipplet >

<php include to common footer and closing table layouts>

</body>
</html>

Here is my problem.  I want the user to be able to edit the area inside of the snipplet definitions + (PLUS) I want them to be able to edit the meta information on the page properties. 

so far the only way I can see to give them access to the meta information is to allow them to edit the entire page, which I do NOT want to do.

Any suggestions?

without putting each pages, meta information into it's own include.

Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: PHP Include files and Snipplets
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »

At the moment, it is not possible to edit meta page information without also allowing the ability to access the entire file.

But honestly.. the search engines these days don't really use meta tag info too much, since it's so easy to fake...  Google doesn't even use the description or content meta tag anymore, and barely uses the title UNLESS it matches the content, in which case it counts for a lot.

But... anyway... at the moment you can only edit meta tag info if you are editing the entire page. 

In a future version, I might add the ability to edit meta tag info seperately, but I'm not sure since there is very limited usefullness to this feature, compared to the amount of work involved for me to make it happen.

Thoughts?

(BTW - The new release of Snippetmaster (later tonight) will allow your php code to be preserved.. right now it doesn't work so well, but the new version "finds" and preserves all php coding, so it will work a lot better.  Just a heads-up for that...  Smile

stritec

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »

I would respectfully disagree. 

One of the things we have done as part of our website building for clients is show them how good meta tags and good content can help get them ranked at the top of google and yahoo. 

go to google and type in (quotes) "Funny bowling shirts".  our website should come up frist as bigbowlingballs.com

The content shown there, is exactly what we have listed in the title and the description for the site, you can view the source and see for yourself.  Wink

Code:
<TITLE>BigBowlingBalls.com - Funny Bowling Shirts, Big Bowling Balls - News and More</TITLE>

<META NAME="description" content="Fun Bowling Shirts, Towels, News, and Other Information.">

<META NAME="keywords" content="Big Bowling Balls, Funny Bowling Shirts, Bowling, T-shirts, tshirts, shirts, funny bowling, St. Louis, Missouri, Arnold, MO, Midwest, 10 pins, bowling alley, bowling news, bigbowling, big bowling, bowling pictures">
<META NAME="Auther" content="Curtis Strite - SCD Services - contact@scdservices.com">

So google does use them as you play by their rules (which they like to change!). Wink

Thanks,
Curtis
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:15 AM »

Hi Curtis,

It's hard to argue with google, but they have several reps who have blogged about how their engine no longer uses description or content meta tags as part of their rankings.  Smile

That being said.. whatever works for you is what works.

I've added the ability to change meta tags as a "stand-alone" option to my roadmap of features, so I'll probably do this eventually.. but I have no estimate on timeframe. 

Cheers!
stritec

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »

Perfect,

I've signed up for the news articles so, I'll keep my eyes open. 

By the Way.  Can you send me a list of the blogs you mentioned, if you have them handy.  I would love to keep an eye on them and read them when I have a chance. 

Thanks for a great tool,  I'll probably be buying quite a few pro licenses from you, for all our new websites, and then going back and retrofitting some of our older ones. 

Do you offer any type of site license or volume discounts above the 5+ you offer now (which is a really good discount by the way).

Thanks,
Curtis
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:41:25 AM by stritec » Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:14:17 AM »

Honestly, I can't recall the blogs.  I read that stuff every once in a while when I have time, but I don't have any bookmarks, etc...  But there are some big discussion forums (which I also don't have links for..) where this stuff is discussed a lot.   Every once in while some "official" rep from google will post into them, etc...

I don't currently offer a site license, but it's something I am considering. 

Note, that all future licenses (once you hit the 50% discount) are at 50% discount.  Just email me once you are at that amount and I'll send you the special order info. 

I am currently working on making this all automated, etc...

In the meantime, let me know what you feel is a reasonable amount to pay for an unlimited license.  Smile

stritec

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:59 AM »

Also,

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the design.  I saw in one of your posts that you were not a designer, and would like to see it look a lot better. 

Well we're a design company and I can show you some of our work, if you're interestd.  We have lots of experience in setting up online shopping carts, and very attractive websites in general. 

Thanks,
Curtis
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 03:49:29 PM »

I'll soon be sending a request for help for a redesign to the announcements mailing list, so be sure to subscribe.  I am definately interested!

http://www.snippetmaster.com/news/
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  How To's & FAQs  |  Topic: PHP Include files and Snipplets « previous next »
Jump to: