SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 17, 2018, 03:40:55 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 17, 2018, 03:40:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Picture Delete and Remame Facility « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Picture Delete and Remame Facility  (Read 5927 times)
richlewt

[-] Picture Delete and Remame Facility
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »

Hi
My client is using snippetmaster to maintain his stock for a motorcycle business. He basically uploads photos and edits description of his bikes.
The upload directory is not getting full of old photos. Is there anyway that a Delete/Rename facility could be added to the image Insert/Edit window with restrictions on the file types and directorys that this would function on.? This would mean he could do some basic maintenance.
Great piece of software.
Report to moderator   Logged

cheers
Rich
danno

[-] Re: Picture Delete and Remame Facility
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »

Yeah, I second that. I recently made the suggestion to Henri to add a quota system

http://www.snippetmaster.com/forums/index.php/topic,941.0.html

and he said he'd try to implement it in the next few weeks. I went ahead and purchased the Pro Version based on his statement and started building my sites around SnippetMaster. I must say, I am very impressed! But I, too, need users to be able to delete files they uploaded. No good having a quota if they can't manage that space. I hope Henri is including this in the quota system he is working on.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:39:39 AM »

I will definately try.  It might be very basic at first...  Smile  (ie: Not very fancy looking.)

What I'm thinking is just to add a red "x" beside each file that is listed when they are browing for images.  Then, they can click the red "x" if they want to delete the file. 

I would then, eventually, add more features to it.. such as ability to rename, mass delete, etc...  but for now, I just want to get out the basic functionality to do quota and delete.  Maybe also rename, but that one is a bit trickier since it requires more user interaction.

richlewt

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:12:09 AM »

Sounds good, I think that will be great to get me going. I hadnt noticed just how many redundant photos my client wasnt using anymore.

cheers
Rich
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »

Ok.. quick question for you guys.

I just finished the actual ability to delete files that are listed in the file browser.  (Works great!)

Now.. I am looking for how best to make this feature available within SnippetMaster.  (ie: Who should be able to use it.)

I definately will add a new option to the Upload Group setup area, like this:

Allow user to delete files in Upload Locations belonging to this Upload Group? [] yes  [] no

What I would like to know... is if you think each USER should be able to 'override' the setting in the Upload Group.  Or is that just too complicated and not really needed?

For example, let's say you have an Upload Group that has "delete" permissions DENIED.

So you could potentially then be able to still allow individual USERS (if they are specifically enabled) to delete files.. even though the delete function is disabled in the Upload Group.

Is that too complicated and confusing?  Would it just be better to ONLY have the "yes or no" option in the Upload Group?  (So if Upload Group option is NO, then nobody will be able to delete files, unless it's enabled in a different upload group, etc..)

Let me know what you think.

danno

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »

I don't think it's necessary to assign if each USER should be able to 'override' the setting in the Upload Group. Just setting it at the group level would be fine. Perhaps it can be set so Power Users and above have delete rights? That way you could make one user a Power User to handle deleting of files if you didn't want all users to have this ability (set in group settings).
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »

Ahh.. that's a good idea.

I will make it so that Admin and Super users always have the ability to delete files.

For Power and Super users, the ability to delete files will be determined by the "yes/no" setting in their User Profile.  I think that is a better way (more flexible) to do it then putting this option in the Upload Group.  I can always add that as another option later.. but I can see more people wanting to turn this on/off on a "per person" basis, then on a "per upload group" basis.

How does that sound?

On a side note, do you think it's worth giving ability to rename files? I think I can do this with a javascript popup to ask for the new filename.  The permissions would be the same... always on for Power/Super users, and then determined by their user profile for the Power/Regular users.

Let me know.

richlewt

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

quote][/quote

cheers
Rich
danno

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:40:08 PM »

Regular users should have an on/off setting for deleting files. Power and Super Users should always have the ability to delete files. If you are making a user a Power User that can edit all snippets it seems they should also have the ability to delete files. I think most people are setting up Regular Users and are only concerned about turning their ability to delete files on and off.

As far as renaming files, I don't think that is necessary if they can be given the ability to delete and upload again. Just my 2 cents.

You know, the more I think about this - why can't the delete option be tied to the upload setting? - ie. if you allow someone to upload then by default I would think you would want them to be able to delete as well. I'm not so sure there is even a need for an "allow to delete" setting.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »

Regular users should have an on/off setting for deleting files. Power and Super Users should always have the ability to delete files. If you are making a user a Power User that can edit all snippets it seems they should also have the ability to delete files. I think most people are setting up Regular Users and are only concerned about turning their ability to delete files on and off.

I have no completed this functionality and it will be included in the new version I will release either tomorrow or Monday.

Admin & Super users can always delete and rename.
Power & Regular users can only delete and rename if the "file management" option is enabled for them.

If permission is enabled, then they can delete/rename files in any of their Upload Groups.

As far as renaming files, I don't think that is necessary if they can be given the ability to delete and upload again. Just my 2 cents.

You know, the more I think about this - why can't the delete option be tied to the upload setting? - ie. if you allow someone to upload then by default I would think you would want them to be able to delete as well. I'm not so sure there is even a need for an "allow to delete" setting.

The problem is that many users might be assigned to the same upload group... and not all of them should have ability to delete, etc.  There's lots of ways to manage the abilities, but I think it makes most sense to "tie it" with the User's profile.

Anyway... let me know what you guys think once the new version is released.  Smile
danno

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »

Sounds like a great setup. I'll post feedback once I test it out. How's the quota system coming? Am I able to limit total uploads for a user or group?

Sorry - I posted here before reading the other thread

http://www.snippetmaster.com/forums/index.php/topic,941.0.html

I see you are on top of things like usual. Thanks for the great support!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 06:14:23 AM by danno » Report to moderator   Logged
richlewt

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 03:29:25 AM »

Thanks Henri for making the mods I requested. Tried it out last night and the rename/delete facility works a treat and is simple to use and set up. Great piece of software, well done.

cheers
Rich
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Picture Delete and Remame Facility « previous next »
Jump to: