SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 19, 2018, 12:13:18 AM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 12:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Select a folder « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Select a folder  (Read 3869 times)
Jenkinhill

[-] Select a folder
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:42:34 AM »

I wonder if it is possible to remove the Folder selection box or even just the text "[Select a folder]" for those sites where all editable files are in one directory, such as site root? This would be useful for small sites, where the selector is not required and could remove a cause of user confusion.
Report to moderator   Logged

Kelvyn
Roger

[-] Re: Select a folder
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:45:40 AM »

Excellent idea!
Some punters will be confused by the folder option box.
When I talk to my users, I always tell them to ignore it. They can only edit within one folder
Roger
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 07:23:43 AM »

Good idea.. although it might wind up creating more problems and confusion then it helps.  The reason being... I already get a LOT of questions to ask why people can't see Snippets or files dropdown box.  (usually because the current folder has no snippets or files!)

I'd hate to now get even more questions to ask why they can't see the folders dropdown...

To be honest, if there are no folders "allowed" for the current user, then they won't be able to navigate up/down. The folder dropdown would just be an empty listbox.

You can use the List Groups to limit the folders they can "see" when browsing for snippets. So my advice is to enable that list group option, and then select it to "include", and then just leave the folder names area empty.  Snippetmaster will then only "include" any folders that match the list...(none), and so no folders will be displayed.

Will that work for you?

In a future version of snippetmaster, I am planning to use a collapsable tree structure system (like Windows Explorer) for the snippet navigation system... that should make things a bit easier to follow.

Very Happy
Jenkinhill

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:55:28 AM »

Henri, I know you can use the list group to remove all non-editable (for that user group) directories, but where the editable files are just in the web root the box still displays  [Select a folder]  - but there is no folder to select.

Kelvyn
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:01:23 AM »

I see what you mean.  OK, so you're saying it should be more like how the Snippet/File dropdown list is done.

If there is no folder in the "Select a Folder" list.. then don't bother displaying the list at all. 

The only concern I have is that, for some admins/users, they might get confused if there is NOTHING displayed at all.

For example, if they login as a user where they have excluded all folders, and the current folder has no snippets.  In that situation, then nothing would be shown to the user.. and they would surely come calling to me for help... or worse, they think the program doesn't work and then complain or give it a bad review, etc...

Would it be preferable to display a text message in place of the dropdown folder? Something like this:

"No folders available for selection"

This way, it's clear the program is "working", and there is no empty dropdown list to confuse the user.

What do you think?  I'm open to other ideas...  just keep in mind where I'm coming from. I don't want to introduce new features for some users that would cause confusion for other users... 

Jenkinhill

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:36:23 AM »

I realise that this program need to be easily used by all and is already more configurable than I ever thought would be possible. From my viewpoint it would be ideal if there was an option to not display the folder selection form and the "Select a different folder:" heading above.  "No folders available to select" may help....

Kelvyn
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Select a folder « previous next »
Jump to: