SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

June 10, 2007, 09:03:54 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2007, 09:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  General Discussion & Support  |  Topic: Old 1.x version of SnippetMaster no longer works « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Old 1.x version of SnippetMaster no longer works  (Read 1916 times)
jaz

[-] Old 1.x version of SnippetMaster no longer works
« on: April 13, 2006, 05:13:00 AM »

I recently purchased and installed Snippetmaster Pro after successfully using the trial version. Up until the last few days I have had no problems.

Now, the editor still loads up as it used to and I can still see the html between the <SNIPPET> tags within the text area. However, I am asked to "Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use the control". On doing this I am not able to bring focus upon the text area or edit anything that is inside it.

After doing some research, I believe this problem to be linked with a new Microsoft Internet Explorer patch that was released on the 11th April and that affects the way IE interacts with Active x controls. However, I was unable to find a quick fix.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that will get the program working again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:31:39 PM by admin » Report to moderator   Logged
Jenkinhill
Beta Tester

[-] Re: Snippetmaster Pro No Longer Works
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:41 AM »

Yes, this is Microsoft's latest "security" update in action (or not!). The appearence of the tooltip shows that focus is passed to the editor, but I cannot select any text in the editor box to edit. The attached image shows the how to activate tooltip message for those yet to see it.

Although editing is apparently not possible in IE6 it works in my "updated" version of IE7 Beta2 Release2. Hitting enter on seeing the tooltip allows the editor to be used.

The shortly to be released new version of Snippetmaster works just fine in the updated browsers. Sounds like a good reason to speed up its release.

* ie-activex.png (3.71 KB, 150x42 - viewed 449 times.)
Report to moderator   Logged

Kelvyn
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:59 AM »

ack! 

Stupid microsoft...   Mad

If the new "security" update from Microsoft has broken your old Snippetmaster installation... you are welcome to install the new version of SnippetMaster.  It is very stable and has been through 18 rounds of testing over 4 months now.   Very Happy

I am just finishing up the "Auto-Uploader" system, and then will be releasing everything for public download.

jbs
Beta Tester

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »

Sounds great.  I appreciate your hard work lately (and of course MS has to push you harder now than the beta testers!)

I look forward to getting the new version installed all over the place!

atlaz
Beta Tester

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 10:51:43 PM »

I'd be very grateful is _someone_ (points his finger at Henri) would come up with a quickfix for the current snippetmaster.
We've got 10+ customers working with the old version, and before i've updated everyones snippetmaster and schooled them all, a year will pass..
That, or i'll be working serious overtime.

Best regards,
Petter Lillhonga.
Jenkinhill
Beta Tester

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:31:47 AM »

There is a patch for Internet Explorer to turn off the new ActiveX control which will work until 2nd June - but it seems this is only available to MS Enterprise customers. It is not only SnippetMaster that has been crippled by this MS update.

The new SnippetMaster version is very quick and easy to install and configure. Very little re-education of customers will be needed, so I wouldn't worry too much about this taking a long time.

Kelvyn
Acert93

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:48:16 AM »

fyi, I have run into the same issue. Is migrating to SM 2 the official recommendation? (Not a big deal for me, just checking before I go about changing stuff).
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 04:14:25 AM »

Yes.  Upgrading to the new version of SnippetMaster (version 2) is the recommended solution.

I am planning to release the new version on Friday (I'm just working on the documentation now), but you can install the current test version now if you want.

http://www.snippetmaster.com/forums/index.php/topic,916.0.html

Very Happy
bikeman
Beta Tester

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:27 AM »

Can someone advise which ms update this is so that I can remove it. This would be a quick fix instead of upgrading to v2 immediately. Thanks.
Jenkinhill
Beta Tester

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 02:19:44 AM »

The update was 908531 (MS06-015)  released on 11th April. There were critical security updates included as part of this update package.

Kelvyn
xperience

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 02:29:14 AM »

Hi,

This is a big problem for us - we don't want to upgrade our current users to the new version - surely there must be a way to fix this?

Please!!

Simon
Luiggi
Beta Tester

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »

hi erverybody,

here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917425/EN-US/

you can find everything about this patch and there you can also find
the compatibiltypatch to solve this problem.

this patch will work until june the ms will solve the whole problem.

hope this works for you.

nice greetings from cologne
Jenkinhill
Beta Tester

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 04:17:38 AM »

The MS patch is available for IE6 on XPSP2 and XP Prof X64 - but they still say that it will cease to work after June 13.
It may be possible to use a JavaScript solution for the orginal SnippetMaster editor - see here.

Kelvyn
BridgeScore

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »

I purchased a pro version in May of 2003 and I spent weeks making modifications to integrate snippetmaster into my website so my users can create additional pages to the site.  It includes many templates for users to customize their own personal pages.  I have over 100 users.  I am in real big trouble with this and need a solution to be able to use my old version of snippetmaster.  The code was done over almost three years ago, that is a long time and my memory of all the changes are in some dark corner of the attic.  Please help me.  I am falling and I don't think that I will be able to get up. 

xperience

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 12:17:24 AM »

I purchased a pro version in May of 2003 and I spent weeks making modifications to integrate snippetmaster into my website so my users can create additional pages to the site.  It includes many templates for users to customize their own personal pages.  I have over 100 users.  I am in real big trouble with this and need a solution to be able to use my old version of snippetmaster.  The code was done over almost three years ago, that is a long time and my memory of all the changes are in some dark corner of the attic.  Please help me.  I am falling and I don't think that I will be able to get up. 

We are in a very similar position. We have no desire to go back through customers' sites and update the software but are already getting calls saying it stops working.

Henri - I appreciate completly this is not your doing but a fix for the old version would be really useful. This, unfortunately, is now affecting our decision to continue using the product Sad

Simon
BridgeScore

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »

I wonder if after installing the patch will the June time bomb be disabled if you turn off the automatic updates
xperience

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 08:33:12 AM »

I wonder if after installing the patch will the June time bomb be disabled if you turn off the automatic updates

this is not a solution
BridgeScore

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 08:49:43 PM »

You are right it is not a solution.  If the new version of Snippetmaster resolves the problem how hard would it be for a patch to the old version to work using the same methodolgy that makes the new version work?  I know it was not part of the plan but you really need to try to make the effort to make the old version compatible with the new security concerns.  After all we the customers trusted that all our work and investment in Snippetmaster software would be supported for compatability.  Snippetmaster needs to make some effort to reslove the problem.
xperience

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 12:25:56 AM »

If the new version of Snippetmaster resolves the problem how hard would it be for a patch to the old version to work using the same methodolgy that makes the new version work?

My thoughts exactly.
BridgeScore

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »

I tried the suggestion posted by Jenkinhill about the javascript solution and IT WORKS !!!! 
I found only three objects to be replaced in the file "ieeditor.php".

First create a javascript file with three functions.  I called it snippet_object.js see the following:
============================================
function RunContent()
{
`       document.write('<object ID="tbContentElement" CLASS="tbContentElement" CLASSID="clsid:2D360201-FFF5-11D1-8D03-00A0C959BC0A" VIEWASTEXT>\n');
        ducument.write('<param name=Scrollbars value=true>\n);
        document.write('</object>\n');
}

function RunInfo()
{
        document.write('<object ID="ObjTableInfo" CLASSID="clsid:47B0DFC7-B7A3-11D1-ADC5-006008A5848C" VIEWASTEXT>\n');
}

function RunFormatInfo()
{
        document.write('<object ID="ObjBlockFormatInfo" CLASSID="clsid:8D91090E-B955-11D1-ADC5-006008A5848C" VIEWASTEXT>\n');
}
========================================================
place the following line after the <head> statement in ieeditor.php

<script src="[replace with your full path]/ieeditor/snipper_object.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

=========================================================
replace the following three object statements.

<object ID="tbContentElement" CLASS="tbContentElement" CLASSID="clsid:2D360201-FFF5-11D1-8D03-00A0C959BC0A" VIEWASTEXT>
      <param name=Scrollbars value=true>
</object>

<object ID="ObjTableInfo" CLASSID="clsid:47B0DFC7-B7A3-11D1-ADC5-006008A5848C" VIEWASTEXT>
</object>

<object ID="ObjBlockFormatInfo" CLASSID="clsid:8D91090E-B955-11D1-ADC5-006008A5848C" VIEWASTEXT>
</object>

=====================================================
with the following statements:
<script type="text/javascript">RunContent();</script>
<script type="text/javascript">RunInfo();</script>
<script type="text/javascript">RunFormatInfo();</script>

============================================
I think you need  to make the javascript file snippet_object.js executable. I am not sure but I made it executable just in case.

I use a linux system and did not try this on anyother type of server.

Thank you Jenkinhill for the pointer on where to find the solution to our problem. 
I did take a look at the new version of SnippetMaster and it looks great.  When I have a bit of time I would most likely get the upgrade and integreate it into my web.  The best thing that I like is the ability for users to be able to paste content from a Word document.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  General Discussion & Support  |  Topic: Old 1.x version of SnippetMaster no longer works « previous next »
Jump to: