SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 19, 2018, 10:01:41 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 10:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  How To's & FAQs  |  Topic: How can I make it impossible for clients to mess up website structure? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How can I make it impossible for clients to mess up website structure?  (Read 3076 times)
webdreamer

[-] How can I make it impossible for clients to mess up website structure?
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »

I am quite new to SM and installed it for 2 clients (Pro version). The websites are managed by CSS, I've inserted the "Begin Snippet..." and "End Snippet" bits - that works fine so far in the SM wysiwyg editor.
BUT. Shocked.. each time they add either content or pictures, it messes up the layout of the page. Do I have to add something in the coding of the CSS to avoid this?
What do I miss?
Thanks for your help. Very Happy
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: How can I make it impossible for clients to mess up website structure?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »

It really depends on where you have placed the Snippet Tags, and what sort of styling you are using with your CSS.

For example, if you are using a container element.. and then your client uploads a giant picture that is 1000px wide... the page layout might get expanded to "fit" the image, unless your CSS specifically limits the element size, regardless of the contents of the container (ie: the image size).

I hope that makes sense.

In other words, your CSS needs to be structured so that your size/layout elements are fixed in size, so that the contents of the elements don't change the layout.

webdreamer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

thanks - it makes sense, but I am still not quite sure what I have to do Sad.
Do I have to set a snippet before and after each editable <div> on a webpage? Meaning that there would be lots of <divs> framed by snippets?
It would really help if I could see a sample of a webpage code,  with snippets and with the stylesheet belonging to it... Is that available?

Thanks again Very Happy
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

There are a few example files in the /snippetmaster/ folder.. but I can't remember what kind of CSS I used...

It really depends on how you have your CSS structured and what kind of css you are using.  For example, if your div tag has a fixed width of 100px specified, then even of the content of that div is 200px, it shouldn't move.  But this depends on your div tag and what css you are using for the layout.

In other words, it isn't anything to do with Snippetmaster.. it has to do with your CSS and your layout code.  Snippetmaster is just a tool to add/modify/remove HTML code, and can't do anything more or less.  If your CSS layout for the DIV tags are coded to not allow html inside your container to move their borders.. then it doesn't matter if your client uses SnippetMaster or edits the code by hand.. they won't be able to move the borders.

In opposite.. if your DIV tags are structured so that the html content can move the borders.. then it doesn't matter if your client edits using Snippetmaster, dreamweaver, or by hand... if they add content that is "bigger" then your width.. then the borders will move.  Snippetmaster isn't the "cause" of that problem... it is simply the tool used by your client to add the html... and it is the html they are adding which is the problem.

I hope that helps.
webdreamer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »

thanks so much ... I think I have to rework on my CSS. I'll have a look if I find the samples you mention on SM website.
Have a nice day! Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  How To's & FAQs  |  Topic: How can I make it impossible for clients to mess up website structure? « previous next »
Jump to: