SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 18, 2018, 01:51:51 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 18, 2018, 01:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Pre-Sales Questions  |  Topic: what about editing NON snippetmaster areas? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what about editing NON snippetmaster areas?  (Read 3317 times)
btessler

[-] what about editing NON snippetmaster areas?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

I like the idea of using SM so my clients can edit certain portions of their site.  But what if there is a page where one section is a snippet and another area isn't?

In other words, what if a client uses SM to edit Area A, and then I use Rapidweaver to edit Area B on the same page - or just add another page to the site which causes ALL pages to be re-published?

Does this over-write the content created by the client?

Thanks in advance,

Bonnie
Report to moderator   Logged
Jenkinhill

[-] Re: what about editing NON snippetmaster areas?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »

iF you use RapidWeaver to edit a page that a client has changed then before you start you need to grab the remote file into your local fileset. Not sure how to do this as I don't use a Mac and am a commited DreamWeaver/Homesite/NoteTab user.

And I guess the same would apply to adding a new page, which would require a overwrite of all pages to change the menu.

Maybe safer to use RapidWeaver to make the initial site then hand code any changes or use a safer editor?

Kelvyn
btessler

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »

Well, actually I intended my question to be more broad - I didn't realize it would matter whether I use RW or DW.

My basic concern is that if I edit a site in the ORIGINAL software AFTER a client has edited a snippetmaster section - will my upload over-write the part edited by the client?

You seem to be implying that it DOES get over-written - and that I should therefore download the latest version of a page from the server before editing it?  Or did I miss something?

Thank you,

Bonnie

Jenkinhill

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »

You should always grab the latest page file from the server before doing an edit in DW or whatever tool  if there are client editable snippets on that page, as the changes made by the client are on that page, not stored in a database.

Kelvyn
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Pre-Sales Questions  |  Topic: what about editing NON snippetmaster areas? « previous next »
Jump to: