SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

April 19, 2018, 07:06:23 AM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2018, 07:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Ability to view formatting without editing « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ability to view formatting without editing  (Read 5433 times)
Digihound

[-] Ability to view formatting without editing
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »

My clients generally tend not to be computer-literate, so I don't want them to be able to edit html. But without clicking in the text and watching the status bar at the foot of the editor, it's difficult to grasp what styles have been applied to the text. Would it be possible to add a button to 'view formatting' of some sort - particularly in relation to styles, and paragraph styles in particular?
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: Ability to view formatting without editing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:35:08 AM »

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking.

What information would be displayed when the "view formatting" button is clicked?
Digihound

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:09:50 AM »

All I was thinking of was something like:

[para-style]It is a bright, sunny day and the courtyard is flooded with sunlight. You awake in your luxury bedroom in a cottage converted from a traditional stone barn. After calling in at the bathroom, with its clean lines and fresh decor, you make your way to the custom-designed kitchen for a tasty breakfast made from local produce.[para-style ends]

[para-style]You adjourn to the lounge and relax into a comfortable chair and review some of the attractive tourist literature provided, glancing occasionally towards the picture window with its extensive and beautiful views. Outside you can hear the birds singing in the orchard.[para-style ends]

Obviously things like bold and italic are clear from the text itself, whereas unless a paragraph style has a visible effect on the text, it may not be clear what is caused by the local styling and what by the umberella styles in the main stylesheet that the user can't change.

In my case all the para style does is to add space between paragraphs.

Hope that helps.
Phil
Jenkinhill

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

If I can come in here, the styles visible should be immediately obvious to the client if the .css files are linked to the page being edited. It is a WYSIWYG editor.
An option I use is to remove from the editor icon bars all those options which may confuse, and reduce the editing options of the client so they cannot make a mess...  Smile

I also use on-line educational video, where I use Captivate to provide each client who needs it a readily accessible tutrorial based on their own site showing them how to use the editor.

Kelvyn
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Ability to view formatting without editing « previous next »
Jump to: