SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

April 19, 2018, 08:50:20 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2018, 08:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: All three install methods result in 500 Server Errror messages. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: All three install methods result in 500 Server Errror messages.  (Read 3226 times)
DaveG

[-] All three install methods result in 500 Server Errror messages.
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »

Hi.

I've been struggling with trying to install this for a couple of hours now. First the autoinstaller gave me a 500 internal server error, the manual install (Zend version) coughed out the same error message, and the manual install (Ioncube version) has just done the same thing.

I do hope someone can assist me with this, as it looks to be just what I have been looking for. I'm pretty sure that I followed all the instructions correctly. I uploaded in binary mode for the Zend install and auto for the Ioncube install. I CHMODded the files that I was instructed to do. Is there something wrong with my hosting - it runs PHP 5.2.6.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks for reading this,
Dave.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:34:33 AM by DaveG » Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: All three install methods result in 500 Server Errror messages.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

Hello,

The best thing I can suggest is to request a free installation, here:

http://www.snippetmaster.com/download/index.php#free_install

Generally, an "error 500" in the browser means that the web server is trying to "run" the PHP file, but is finding some kind of problem.  This could be just about anything, but most good quality web hosting accounts will have an "error log" or file that can show you the reason why the error is being generated.  (Ask your web hosting provider to show you where you can find the error log for your account, and it should have some information about what is the problem.)

Let me know how it goes...
Report to moderator   Logged
DaveG

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »

Thanks for your quick response. I'll probably take you up on that offer of a free installation, if this isn't sorted fairly soon.

But before I do, would the fact that there is no front page to the site make any difference to the installation process? I'm making a site for a friend, which they want to be able to update, but I'm only at the stage of trying out various CMS to see which would be best for them. There are html pages on the site, but none of them are index.html. I can't see how that would affect the installation, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case!

I've had a look at something called an "Access Log". I don't know if that's what you were referring to, but in case it is, here's the relevant portion:

Code:
81.109.222.127 - - [09/Oct/2008:20:24:03 +0100] "GET /snippetmaster/ HTTP/1.1" 404 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"
81.109.222.127 - - [09/Oct/2008:20:24:09 +0100] "GET /snippetmaster/ HTTP/1.1" 404 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"
81.109.222.127 - - [09/Oct/2008:20:25:10 +0100] "GET /snippetmaster/ HTTP/1.1" 404 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"

If this isn't what you were referring to, I'll ask my hosting provider.

Thanks again,
Dave.
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

No, I don't think that should make any difference at all. Snippetmaster doesn't care about the homepage or anything else... it just looks at any files in the folders and lets you edit whatever it finds.  Smile

I think what you posted above is from the general access (website) log.  What I was referring to in my previous post is the "PHP error log" file, which is a log file created by the PHP software to record any errors.

I think your web hosting provider might be hopefully able to assist with this... as they should know what error is causing the "error 500" to occur.  The PHP software should be reporting the exact reason, which will be recorded into the log file.

Let me know...
DaveG

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Thanks again,

I'm waiting for support at my hosting company to get back to me. I'll post the error log when they do.

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »

Success! The support guy at my hosting company says he changed some permissions and it started loading for him. So I've just completed the installation successfully.

Thanks for your help. If SnippetMaster is reliable and as intuitive as the demo made it appear, then I'll be buying at least one license.

Thanks again. I hope I don't need to bother you with any more problems!
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: All three install methods result in 500 Server Errror messages. « previous next »
Jump to: