SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

January 23, 2018, 12:14:33 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: The fix for db.ini.php not found (in my case at least) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The fix for db.ini.php not found (in my case at least)  (Read 1628 times)
EToft

[-] The fix for db.ini.php not found (in my case at least)
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »

Do you have db.ini.php in the right place with proper write permissions, but still keep getting that pesky message telling you that the database cannot be found?  I may have a solution for you.

The php.ini file may be the culprit.  And yes it has everything to do with session passing, as many other posts have mentioned.  What I could not find in the other posts was what to do to fix it.  So I started looking around the net for issues with php sessions.  What I found sounded almost too simple to be true, but it worked.

Please note that I am running SnippetMaster on my local PC to evaluate the software.  I am running Apache 2.2 with PHP 5 on a Windows XP machine.

It seems that, under windows xp, the PHP 5 install sets the default session.save_path to be under the temp directory for the current user.  For example...

session.save_path="C:\DOCUME~1\Ralph\LOCALS~1\temp\php\session"

However, the \php\session directory probably never got created by the installer, and in my case, my shutdown script deletes the contents of the temp directory, so it is not a safe place anyway.

The solution is simple if you have direct access to the server machine as I do.  Create a directory called session somewhere "safe" so that it will not get whacked by accident.  Then change the session.save_path entry in the php.ini file (Usually at C:\Program Files\PHP\php.ini on a windows machine) to point to it. 

In my case, I created the directory at C:\Program Files\PHP\SESSION.  Therefore the entry in my PHP.ini file looks like this...session.save_path="C:\Program Files\PHP\SESSION"

I refreshed the server and browsed to http://localhost/snippetmaster, and VIOLA the database location field was already populated (it never was before) and the rest of the install went off without a hitch.

Note to Henri:  I hope this helps others so they will not bother you as I have.  I fully understand that you cannot respond to everyone's questions, and that paying customers get the highest priority.

I hope that this is helpful to someone out there with the same problems.  Henri has a very nice product here, and it would be a shame if someone gave up on it when it might be as easy as this to fix.

CHEERS!
Erik T.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Installation Issues  |  Topic: The fix for db.ini.php not found (in my case at least) « previous next »
Jump to: