SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 19, 2018, 12:17:39 AM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 12:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Edit content from database. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Edit content from database.  (Read 5808 times)
martin

[-] Edit content from database.
« on: September 01, 2002, 01:39:03 AM »

Any ideas on how SnippetMaster could be used with content from a database? I already keep the client editable regions as mysql records, if this application could be modified to edit these then life would be good. Laughing
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: Edit content from database.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 10:07:29 AM »

Quote from: martin
Any ideas on how SnippetMaster could be used with content from a database? I already keep the client editable regions as mysql records, if this application could be modified to edit these then life would be good. Laughing

The program would need to be redesigned.  I didn't pursue this kind of functionality, because there were already a few on the market that can do this.  Instead, I wanted to build something that would be usable by the majority of web developers and site owners who don't need or use databases, etc..

I could modify the editor code to work with a database, but I don't think I will do this unless more people ask for it.  I hate reinventing the wheel, and there's already several good editors around that can do it.

Cheers!
wavekiller

[-] Just a suggestion
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 11:25:53 AM »

Hi Eletric,

What do you think about in the future, SnnipedMaster be a twist of "snnipet" editable regions with some modular database fetuares Question

I'm talking about simple things, like polls, guestbooks, and mailling fetuares.
It can be a separate addon. Its easy to do and it would be a cool addon for "advanced" users Exclamation

- SnnipedMaster "Classic" => The original simple & easy stuff (no db)!
- SnnipedMaster "Turbo Pack" => Cool db modules for your templates! Idea

Its just a idea, not original but very nice if merged with SnnipedMaster.
Certainly it will be a very popular tool!

WK.

--------8<--------Cut Here--------8<--------

WK.

Only a surfer knows the feeling...
http://Http://www.4surf.com.br
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 11:35:59 AM »

When I read stuff like that, I get big ideas in my head... the problem is that the execution of the ideas is pretty huge.

There are already lots of polls, guestbooks, mailers, etc.. in the market  (ie: phpnuke et al) that can do all those things.  With snippetmaster, I wanted something simple that EVERYBODY with a normal static webpage would be able to use.

I might add some simple features, but probably nothing that would require advanced scripting.  If I did, then it would defeat the purpose of being an easy-to-use tool.

Besides, I don't think I could build additional add-ons that would be much better than the ones already available for free on hotscripts.

I do think adding simple things would be neat, though.  Like a button to add a mailing form to your page.  (click here to add a form) The problem is that now I'd have to add advaned form mgmt capability, etc..

Also, snippetmaster is designed for developers who want to give their clients a may to edit pages.  If I give the ability to do basic scripting features (forms), then this would be taking work away from the developers.. actually costing them money.

I'll add your suggestions to the list of possibles.

Thanks!
martin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 11:43:53 AM »

I could modify the editor code to work with a database, but I don't think I will do this unless more people ask for it. I hate reinventing the wheel, and there's already several good editors around that can do it.

I've not found anything as good as this at doing what it is designed to do, editworkshttp://www.editworkspro.com/ is close, but I still think yours is the better. I will monitor this site in the hope you wil change your mind.
Regards
Martin.
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: Edit content from database. « previous next »
Jump to: