SnippetMaster Support Forums
Return to main website

February 19, 2018, 10:00:09 PM
* Show unread posts since last visit.
* Show new replies to your posts.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 10:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: PDF Documentation « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PDF Documentation  (Read 5446 times)
Digihound

[-] PDF Documentation
« on: August 09, 2006, 02:07:02 AM »

Not really a suggestion for the product - more one for the website.
If they're not already available - which I think they are not - why not produce PDF versions of the manual?
I prefer to work offline, so I can't access the manual. I've produced a rather rough and ready version by saving the manual pages with Acrobat, but after the first page you lose the index!
Report to moderator   Logged
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

[-] Re: PDF Documentation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 03:29:28 AM »

Good idea.

I'm open to suggestions on how to make a decent PDF file, without requiring me to re-write the entire manual.  Smile

Artisan

The World Wide Web needn't cost the earth.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »

Have a look at a program called PDF995 at http://www.pdf995.com/, it runs as a printer driver, so it can create a PDF out of anything. The only slightly annoying thing with html pages is that it includes the page title and url at the top of each page, and the page number (e.g. "1 of 2") and the date/time at the bottom, just like it does when you print a web page.

Apart from that, though, it's great. It's not appliocation-dependent, if something can be printed, it can be made into a PDF.

Malcolm
admin
Forum Administrator

SnippetMaster Author

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:26:55 PM »

Actually, I use pdf995 already.  It's a great program, but it doesn't like "framed" web pages too much.  That's the problem here, because I'm using a frame for the left-side documentation menu.

I'm thinking I might need to just "bite the bullet" and use something more versatile like robohelp.  My understanding is that one you input the documentation and pages into a program like that, you can publish it as searchable HTML pages, pdf document, windows help file, etc.... so having that might be good.

Not sure yet, but that's the direction I'm leaning...
bradhanson

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:34:58 AM »

Gosh. Yeah i was looking for a way to print this to read it on the train..

From the dialogue above...
1. The header and footer can be eliminated in the print setup of the browser.
2. I use pdfFactory.   You can print the framed information -- just from the right documentation frame by right clicking in it and then selecting print.

oh. i'm using Internet Explorer.. not sure how the others work with it.

anyways.. I use RoboHelp and while it is nice it is overkill for most documentation.
Pages: [1] Print 
SnippetMaster Support Forums  |  General  |  Suggestions & Feature Requests  |  Topic: PDF Documentation « previous next »
Jump to: